We know the Real Estate & Construction industry. We understand the regulations and trends that impact your business and we’ve got a wide and innovative range of accounting, tax, and advisory services to help you make sense of the business landscape.
Who we work with
Our team has considerable hands-on experience in advising general and niche contractors, property management companies, private developers, and landlords owning residential, industrial, and commercial properties.
How we help
We also advise on capital structure optimization, valuation of shareholder interests, and restructuring matters. In addition, our industry relationships allow us to assist in all aspects of debt and equity financing including land acquisition, project construction, and final stage take-out financing. We’ll give you practical advice based on a detailed understanding of the profit drivers of your business.
Creating value starts with the initial investment opportunity and ensuring that a reasonable price is paid to establish a going-in yield that makes sense. Sizing up future potential is the art form of any deal structure and ultimately drives total return. Here are some examples of ways we have helped our clients:
- Conducted due diligence on behalf of an institutional investor to support the acquisition of several multi-residential apartment buildings in Ontario and Quebec
- Increased both single and aggregate insurance coverage limits for a niche contractor by providing special purpose reports to the contractor’s bonding company
- Conducted a forensic investigation for a financial institution to assess the authenticity of invoices submitted by a sub-contractor to the project general contractor
- Completed a comprehensive ERP system selection mandate for a large privately-owned construction company
- Undertook the valuation of a large real estate investment holding company for purposes of a shareholder buyout
The hard work of preserving value never ceases. Continuous improvement in operating processes and accountability is a critical component to maximizing value. Here are some ways we have helped our clients:
- Designed and implemented a cash flow forecasting model for a large real estate portfolio that included industrial and commercial rental properties and condominium inventory held for sale
- Recommended accounting policies and internal controls that addressed complex property valuation and revenue recognition policies for several real estate and construction clients. Completed an independent review of a multi-tier partnership structure to ensure compliance with changing tax legislation
- Advised on valuation and tax matters involved in the transfer of an equity interest in a construction company to a third-generation family member
- Provided expert testimony in a shareholder litigation matter involving quantification of damages related to a delayed condominium development
Realizing value may take place when refinancing or at the ultimate disposition of the asset. Here are some ways we have helped our clients:
- Advised on and completed tax compliance matters for a private real estate company related to the transfer of assets into a public REIT
- Acted as the restructuring advisor to the lead secured creditor of a multi-location building materials company
- Acted as the court-appointed receiver for three industrial rental properties requiring environmental remediation. Managed these properties and protected creditor interests by maintaining positive cash flow
- Acted as a court-appointed receiver and manager of a large discount outlet mall. Successfully completed the sale of the mall and the structuring of a supporting defeasance transaction
- Undertook the valuation of a construction rental equipment business for use in the quantification of assets with respect to a matrimonial breakdown